Rules of Hunoot
591. After Ghusl is given, it is Wajib to give Hunoot to a dead body, which is to apply camphor on its forehead, both the palms, both the knees and both the big toes of its feet. As per obligatory precaution, some camphor should be left there. It is Mustahab to apply camphor to the nose tip also. Camphor must be powdered and fresh, and if it is so stale that it has lost its fragrance, then as per precautionary measure, it will not suffice.
592. As per recommended precaution, camphor should first be applied on the forehead of the deceased. It is not necessary to observe sequence while applying camphor to other parts mentioned above.
593. It is better that Hunoot is given before Kafan, although there is no harm in giving Hunoot during Kafan or even after.
594. If a person is in the state of Ihram for Hajj or Umrah, and if he or she dies in Hajj Tamattu’ before completing Saee’ and in Umrah before Taqseer (cutting hair or nails), it is not permissible to administer Hunoot.
595. Though it is Haraam for a woman to perfume herself if her husband has died and she is in iddah, but if she dies in iddah, it is obligatory to give her Hunoot.
596. As per recommended precaution, perfumes like musk, ambergris and aloes – wood ('Oud) and others should not be applied to the dead body, and these things should not be mixed with camphor.
597. It is Mustahab to mix a small quantity of Turbat (soil) of the land around the shrine of Imam Husain (peace be upon him) with camphor, but it should not be applied to those parts of the body, where its use may imply any disrespect. It is also necessary that the quantity of Turbat is not much, so that the identity of camphor does not change.
598. If camphor is not available or the quantity available is just sufficient for Ghusl only, then it is not Wajib to apply Hunoot. And if it is in excess of the requirement for Ghusl but is not sufficient for administering Hunoot to all the parts, then camphor will be applied on the forehead of the dead body first and the remainder, if any, will be applied to other parts.
599. It is also Mustahab that 2 pieces of fresh and green twigs are placed in the grave with the dead body.